Monday, April 6, 2009

Morning coffee ...

... at the Body & Soul Retreat! I feel as though I have died and gone to heaven!

There isn't much to do up here in the hills so I rummaged through the hotel's small reading library. The only book of any literary merit was "The Wind in the Willows" and as I began to read it, I was immediately struck by the sentence, "The best part of a holiday is perhaps not so much to be resting yourself, as to see all the other fellows busy working."

Which may be true anywhere else but not in Bali where the local people just hang about, sit, squat, chatter, and laugh with each other. I'm sure there must be some stressed people in Bali but I haven't seen them yet. The only furrowed brows belong to tourists, worried about their schedules, if they have just been ripped off, or if dinner tonight will be up to scratch.

Speaking of which, a Dutch couple dropped in for dinner last night. Now I know that Germans can be pretty noisy when they're all absorbed in their Lederhosen world - but these Dutch?

One moment I was surrounded by sweet scents and soft gamelan music, and the next I felt like being hit over the head with a wooden shoe every time these "Hollanders" brayed out their gutteral sounds. With booming voices they announced that they liked the place and would phone back to make a booking. Why bother using the phone? Just speak normal and we'll hear you wherever you are!