Tuesday, October 20, 2009

"I'm leaving on a jet plane"

RIP: Mary Travers of Peter, Paul and Mary



"All my bags are packed,
I'm ready to go.
I'm standing here outside your door.
I hate to wake you up to say goodbye.

"But dawn is breakin',
It's early morn'.
The taxi's waitin',
He's blowin' his horn. . .

"I'm leavin' on a jet plane.
Don't know when I'll be back again.
Oh Babe, I hate to go."

Mary Travers has gone on her final journey. We know that she won't be back again, but her music is her legacy. We'll miss her broad smile, her creative talent, her stage presence, her straight blond hair, her distinctive voice that harmonised so well with Peter Yarrow and Noel Paul Stuckey, her idealism. The whole package. Listen to Peter, Paul & Mary's rendition of what I think of as the most poignant travel song.

I'm leaving on a jet plane to Bali but my destination is merely a by-product of the journey. Travel is the act of leaving familiarity behind, of seeking new horizons, meeting new people, and gaining new insights.


P.S. While on the road, I can be reached via riverbend@live.com.au